Thursday, April 27, 2017

Final Thoughts

04/27/17

My time at Dignity Health has taught me the values of working within a team environment in the context of developing applications to big data. I have discovered what creative ways code and big data are being applied to handle hospital data and augment what the doctors would traditionally do on their own. Whether it be creating an alert system for sepsis, creating a genomics database, or just making an application that rates doctors based on their length of stay, technology has clearly revolutionized the way we handle healthcare.

Now, we can create large scale monitoring systems, systems to monitor those systems and so on. It all becomes increasingly complex as time goes on, but so does it in effectiveness of treating patients. Never before has a computer been able to take the load off of a doctor in terms of doing calculations or constantly monitoring different levels or values. It is truly a revolutionary feat. I have a newfound interest in what we can do with large-scale data collection, whether it be for medicine or simple consumer understanding in a more business focused scenario.

This project has given me a new mindset as to what I want to do in the future, I enjoyed working in healthcare more than I had anticipated, but it also reminded me why I wanted to work in something more consumer-facing. I enjoy creating things people will use, perfecting them for usability by your average person, whether it be hardware or software.

No comments:

Post a Comment