Sunday, February 12, 2017

Introduction

2/12/17

Hello Everyone,

As I began my time at Dignity Health this week, I thought I'd give a little overview of what I will be involved with during my few months here.

I discovered, from my first moments interacting with my team, that technology and big data have revolutionized the way we analyze society in diseases or even feedback. They seek to improve our understanding of diseases and better the care for each individual by compiling their genetic information and medical records and comparing it against other people to understand what the best approach is for their situation. While it may seem obvious, it is amazing what they are doing to improve the care for patients at their hospitals, like St.Joseph's. I am incredibly excited to become a part of the whole experience and get my hands dirty in the field working on programs and projects to push their efforts forward.

I will work with Big Data to leverage cutting edge technology that allows us to use all the data that is captured about patients and their treatment, as well as pulling in Twitter data to discover the overall sentiment felt towards St.Joseph's. This is an area where technology truly has the opportunity to better the lives of us all.

Thank you,
I can't wait to get started.

Kyle Grace

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kyle!

    Your project sounds really interesting. Can you talk a little more about what kind of data you are going to be working with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main projects that I am working in essentially focus on combining the genome of an individual with their health records and then seeing which treatments for a disease have worked best in the past for similar genetic compositions, and then recommending the best treatment based on that. The other ones involve taking in tweets that mention the hospital and using a google API to analyze the sentiment of the words and then tracking the costs of drugs used in the hospital and comparing them all against the market fair price at local pharmacies to make sure we are getting a good deal from our suppliers and thereby that we are charging the patients a fair price.
      Hopefully that explains it a bit better!

      Delete