Sunday, February 12, 2017

Recap of Week One

2/12/17

Well, I finished my first week. It was a mixture of emotions from initial boredom to great excitement. I was exposed to some of the awesome projects I will be involved in and I now am both ecstatic and scared to have things thrown at me that I've never seen before.

The main thing that I have been involved with this first week was a project involving the application of the human genome. Dignity Health is focused on combining the study of the human genome with electronic health records to better process, store, and combine this information to provide treatment that is specifically tailored to the genetic makeup of each patient. Very cool stuff. It is called precision medicine, and while they may not be the only ones working to better this field, the enthusiasm I have experienced truly excites me.

I spent a large amount of my time brushing up on my knowledge of genomics from AP Biology and furthering it more by discovering how they can use Big Data to reference genetic information of one person against thousands of previous patients to discover what the most successful course of action has been for people of similar genetic makeup. I am creating a sort-of guide to genomics that will better help the IT department understand them as well as solidify my own knowledge so I can have a strong base of knowledge moving forward. Understanding genomics itself, I believe, is vital for me to contribute in the beginning stages of creating a system to leverage Big Data in healthcare by integrating genomics.

Thanks for checking in, and I'll see you in my next post.

Kyle Grace

1 comment:

  1. It is so interesting that they are making treatment plans designed around each patient's unique genome! Can't wait to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete