Thursday, February 23, 2017

Twitter Tracking

2/23/17

Hello Everyone,

I have began to experiment with an early version of the Twitter program mainly using code provided by Twitter to gather tweets associated with a certain keyword or set of keywords. I also added some of my own code just to calculate the total number of tweets, the time the program has been running, and the average tweets per minute over  that interval. While testing it during some of my other tasks, I noticed very little buzz surrounding some of the topics I was testing just for my own interests such as "genomics" or "genome" but nearly 2200 tweets per minute when I included the keyword "Trump". It essentially became my test keyword as I knew I would always pull in lots of data to make sure my algorithms work correctly. I will hopefully be adding a user interface as well as the ability for the program to log some of the data. Currently, I have to edit the code to change the codewords and read the console for my information, almost like just browsing the Twitter homepage. It is a good start, but I have lots of work to do, but with the help of some of the experienced individuals at Dignity, I know it will be doable.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I am doing and thanks for reading my blog.

Kyle Grace

5 comments:

  1. Hey Kyle! It looks like you are really diving in headfirst with your coding. What language are you using, and about how many lines of code is your "tweet tracker"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The program is written in Java and it is a couple hundred lines throughout the different classes, but some of that is pulled from Twitter's API

      Delete
  2. Hi Kyle! Are your experiment results limited to mentions within the United States or are they international at this point? Does the scope distinction change anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment, it is limited within the US as we are largely concerned with things that would immediately affect the company when we actually put it into use. I believe it would change the overall results but it is just limited to the US at the current time.

      Delete
    2. Would this tracking program also be applicable to other social media platforms like Facebook, or is it twitter-specific? It seems like you may get more results related to the hospital if you add in other sites.

      Delete