Saturday, February 25, 2017

Recap of Week Three

02/25/17

Hey everyone,

I have just wrapped up week three at Dignity Health and I have continued to progress on the few projects I am involved with. I also have been working with a few others to learn Angular Java so that we can work on a web based application in the future.

For my drug price tracking project, I have gathered up the highest expense drugs for the hospital (combination of price and quantity purchased) and compared the wholesale prices against those of retailers to ensure we charge a similar price to patients. I also presented some of this information to the chief health information officer and he seemed intrigued to look into this further.

As for the Twitter tracking, I covered most things in my previous post other than having a meeting discussing how we can turn this into a web application that the hospital can use to run analytics on certain keywords.

Finally, the genomics project is progressing as the team works to advance their idea of how we want to integrate the genetic information into the EHRs. I have also completed a laymen's guide to genomics that I will present to the IT department as an introduction to what we will be doing with genomics. I will share that presentation in a future blog post.

Comment if you have any questions about what I am working on, thank you.

3 comments:

  1. This technological aspect of a medical facility is so cool!! Just a curious question, do you feel like you need to understand the whole medical side of things in order to successfully/effectively gather/organize the data? Like, which is more prevalent, the technological or the medical aspect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, understanding the medical side does not seem completely necessary. I have done my work to try and understand things, but many different things depend on noticing trends or understanding how the given data set works, rather than what is actually contained in the data. I do believe understanding the medical aspect allows you to see it in a way maybe that would not be possible if you did not have a grasp of it, or there may be some applications that DO depend on the medical understanding, but from what I have seen, it is not absolutely necessary and the technological aspect is more important.

      Delete
    2. I am actually giving a presentation to the office on how genomes work so they can have a basic understanding when they begin to work on the system to integrate genomic data with electronic health records.

      Delete