Sunday, February 19, 2017

Twitter Big Data

2/19/17

I have began to work on the Twitter project that will hopefully be the final product of my internship here. Another developer here has a similar system set up only it maps the tweets geographically as they are tweeted out. We saw the United States light up with tweets of Donald Trump, but nearly none about genomics or precision medicine, although I won't say I was surprised.

This project is going to very useful for aggregating the overall thoughts facing nearly any issue or subject all by using the power of Twitter. While it is normally seen as something negative, social media is incredibly powerful in the modern era. As we now have the ability to store and process the immense amount of data, we can use it to better the experience of patients in the future or use a program like this for nearly infinite applications. I hope to tell you more soon as I dive into the code.

Kyle Grace 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kyle,

    I love the approach you're taking with social media! Is there any way you can get people talking about genomics or precision medicine on Twitter? I am not all too familiar with this field, but I would love to know if you could influence the conversations!

    ReplyDelete